Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Doctor visit...

I had a quick doctors appointment today so the doctor could check my incision since my c-section was considered an emergency. It took all of about 2 seconds but the doctor did manage to share a stupid story about an infertile couple who adopted and then magically became pregnant two months later because the "pressure was off". This story was prompted when he mentioned that at the next PP appointment in 3 more weeks we would discuss birth control. When I said I didn't need any he told me this story. I know he meant no harm, but it's really insensitive to tell a couple who will NEVER EVER have a "surprise" pregnancy a story about a couple who adopted and then they magically conceived because they 'relaxed'.

Seriously? Not helpful, in fact it's hurtful and a reminder once again the severity of our diagnosis. As he was telling me this story I almost started crying. IF is so misunderstood as it is and to have a member of the medical community suggest that if we had only "relaxed" the 3 years of hell we went through to have our babies wouldn't have been necessary is just stupid. He's a doctor he should be above the "just relax" myth that so many seem to offer as though it's actually productive advice.

I later told Marcus that if I ever were to have a surprise pregnancy it would be akin to the conception of Jesus, that's the kind of miracle it would take. I'm not excited to have this conversation again in 3 weeks at my next appointment with a different doctor. Can't they make a note in the chart or something?

In other news I'm 9 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight and he gave me the okay to slowly start "jogging". It's going to be really slow since the bedrest left me without any muscles at all, and I'm still tender from the surgery. We'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

Queenie. . . said...

That's SUCH crap from the doctor. It really is amazing how little some OB's know about IF!

Jessica White said...

Doctor's suck: I'm continually trying to think up ways to shut them up about that stuff.