Thursday, November 4, 2010

Today I'm thankful for the end of the election ...#1

Last november in the days leading up to Thanksgiving I did a series of thankful posts and I wanted to do it again. I wanted to start on November 1st but I just didn't get my act together so I'm starting today November 4th and will do a post each day for the next three weeks leading to thanksgiving. So #1...

I don't mind election season generally speaking, I actually enjoy many aspects of it and I love voting. But I have to say the constant advertisements and bashing etc gets old, our election seasons are so long in this country. In not too long the presidential campaigning will start eek. So today I'm thankful that the elections are over and while as a whole the elections didn't go as I would have liked I'm happy that the senator I wanted to win for our state did.

*Warning this next section is going to show my bias as a left leaning liberal.*

I watched the concession speech by Sharron Angle today, and I'm just going to say it, she scares the crap out of me. She's insane, really she is. Some of her campaign stuff is just nonsensical and frightening. Her concession speech was kind of nutty but one part that made me laugh was when she mentioned that she had inspired Democrats and independents to vote. I'm not totally sure what she meant, or if she thought that was a good thing, but she sure did inspire this Democrat to vote and campaign... against her. (I found out on tuesday that she's a cousin of one of my youth interesting connections...)

Anyway random tangent there but I was amused.

Politics are exhausting, the constant back and forth. The insults throw from each side and while I like it too a point it's always a relief when it passes.

As another random note I love this article from Slate here. It sums up my feelings about our current president. I trust that he's doing the best he can, and I honestly never expected miracles considering the mess he walked into.

So maybe a less than profound thing to be grateful for, but I am nonetheless.

No comments: