Saturday, November 21, 2009

Today I am grateful for my education...#11.

My entire life I knew I wanted to go to college, and I worked hard to make sure that dream became a reality. I remember stepping onto my undergraduate university for the first time and I just knew that was where I needed to go to school. My undergraduate years were an amazing learning opportunity for me. My eyes were opened to the world and I grew as a person and I was educated in so many different ways. I had amazing professors who supported me and pushed me academically.  I love and miss our life in CA, my school was the absolute best fit for me.



I also really love my graduate school. My graduate school is part of a larger (well known) university but my program is relatively small in the realm of the university. It's a close knit and supportive community. Again, my professors and fellow students push my comfort levels and I am also incredibly challenged academically.



When I graduate in May I'm going to feel a little lost. School is so much a part of who I am and my identity and I love every part of it. I have a feeling that this is probably not the end of my schooling. I just need to take a break and work in the real world for awhile and evaluate what makes sense as the next step.

I also realize my ability and access to education makes me somewhat privileged. Unfortunately, not everyone has equal access and opportunity to obtain degrees of higher education. I am grateful for the opportunity to attend the schools that I have and although I have worked incredibly hard to get myself to and through these institutions it's not something that everyone has the ability to do for a variety of reasons. I hope that Eli & Emerson will have the desire to be educated as they grow and I look forward to trying to pass on my love of learning to them.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I feel this way too. I am an instructor at a community college, guess that was my solution to wanting to be a student forever. Prior to the craziness that is bedrest + preemie, I was scheduled to start my PhD next summer...we'll see