Friday, March 23, 2012

For the love of books...

I've loved reading my entire life. I can't remember a time when I didn't read and I didn't have a book with me at all times. Attending college and grad. school for 7 years was difficult for me because it left virtually no time for pleasure reading and I've spent the last two years devouring as many books as I can, to compensate for those long years of required reading.

I wish I could fully explain my love of books but it's hard to even describe.

When I'm having a hard day a book will always make me feel better. When I was pregnant with Eli and Emerson Marcus went to a book signing at my grad. school for me to get me a signed copy of a book I had been wanting to read. It literally brightened my life at that moment during the long days of hospital bed rest.

When I was in the 5th grade and I was diagnosed with a degenerative bone disease in both ankles, I can clearly remember sitting in the doctors office holding my Baby Sitter's Club book and reading. As the doctor began to explain the diagnosis to me, and the fact that I would need to have both of my legs in casts and be in a wheel chair, the only thing I could think to do in that moment was read. I picked my book back up and continued reading as tears rolled down my face. It was a coping mechanism, an escape. (I think my mom thought I was being rude to start reading as the doctor was talking, but I just didn't know what else to do).

Having said all that it is my great hope that both Eli and Emerson will be readers. I want them to love reading, I want them to love books, and to find joy and excitement from all they offer.

These days we make a weekly trip to the library and they both eagerly pick out new books to take home, and to my joy they insist on reading several books each night before bed.

I'm especially excited because lately Eli has been showing an increased interest books. Before it was mostly Emerson who was willing to read books and listen to stories. That's shifted and now Eli sits attentively listening to the story, asking questions about the pictures in the book, and always wanting, "another book, please." (He's very polite these days with his use of please).

The other day I was sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket reading. When Eli and Emerson came into the room and saw me they both immediately ran into their room to gather some books and together the 3 of us read.

I hope this is something that will last forever. I'm especially excited for the days when they're a little bit older and we can start reading together some of my favorite chapter books from Childhood.
The three of us reading together.

Me and Eli (he wanted to sit right next to me)

Emmy opted for the "other couch" 

On a somewhat different note, the other night Marcus was reading Eli and Emmy their bedtime story. It was the book Emerson selected from the library and it was not really a good book for their age (I let them pick out whatever book they want from the children's section).

It was called "The Greedy Apostrophe" or something like that. As Marcus glanced through it he quickly realized he would have to "create" a new story using the pictures as a guide so they could understand.

As I walked out of the room I heard him say, "The Greedy Apostrophe" by Charles Dickens. My children are going to be really confused about the classics if he keeps that up. Unless this happens to be one of Dickens lesser know works haha. Marcus cracks me up. 

1 comment:

Jessica White said...

My dad always made up his own stories...I think it was more interesting that way :-)

I'm with you about reading...best thing EVER! I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be able to read.