Friday, March 6, 2009

Cervix Check... not so good.

The news from my cervix check is not so great. Since the last check 2 weeks ago my cervix has shortened again, now it measures between 2.2 and 2.5 depending (the have you do different things to get different measurements) which is into the not safe zone. It was pretty obvious even to me that the news wasn't good as they were doing the ultrasound because of one the numbers, but also the tech wasn't commenting much. She was pretty silent the whole time, and then went to go get the doctor.

They did a fetal Fibronectin test to see what that has to say. Which from what I understand basically checks to see if there are proteins present. To my some what limited knowledge of the fFN test if it's negative it's a good indication that I'll remain pregnant for at least a few more weeks (they'll repeat this test every time I have an ultrasound), and if it's a positive its an indicator of pre-term labor at some point or something like that. So we're hoping for a negative on that test obviously.

The MFM doctor wants to see me again in a week to check the cervix (instead of 2) and he's also recommending to my OB that I start some sort of suppository or something to see if that'll help I don't remember exactly what he said. I have an appointment with my OB on Monday so I guess she'll know since this doctor is sending his report over to my OB right now and I don't remember because they were giving a lot of information. So until Monday I plan on doing nothing, we'll see if what the fFN test has to say, and check the cervix again next Friday. Right now it's literally a wait and see game. I'm trying to remain calm about all of this but I'm scared about the possibility of it shortening even more and pre-term labor. So that's what I know.

2 days until my OB appointment and next Friday we'll check the cervix again. More waiting and worrying.

No comments: