Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What I read in April...

Once again it felt like a slow reading month to me. (but it actually really wasn't now that I look at the list) I was so busy with Lent, Holy Week, Retreats, Easter, teaching classes, that I felt like I had no time for anything but work. Yet, I did manage to work some books in.

1.) Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss & Love by Matt Logelin
2.) The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (I LOVED this book which was a huge surprise to me since I don't consider fantasy to be a genre I enjoy).
3.) Love by Toni Morrison
4.) Matched by Ally Condie
5.) I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
6.) Gather Together in My Name by Maya Angelou
7.) Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas by Maya Angelou
8.) The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou
9.) All God's Children NEed Traveling Shoes By Maya Angelou
10.) A Song Flung Up to Heaven by Maya Angelou
11.) The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

Did you sense a theme with #5-10? I get into these moods where I feel like I need to read everything by a certain person. I intended just to read Gather Together in my Name by Maya Angelou which is the second book in her autobiographies, but first decided to re-read I know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and then I just couldn't stop. So I read all 6 of her autobiographies and I loved them. She's a fascinating woman. So much about her I never knew. I especially loved when her life crossed paths with Malcolm X in Africa. Malcolm X talks about all of that in his autobiography and I loved hearing about the same event from another perspective.

I had to resist purchasing and tracking down all her books of poetry too. A similar thing happened after I read "Notebooks" by Tennessee Williams suddenly I felt the urge to read everything by him. Marcus just rolls his eyes at me when I get into these moods.

Total books this month = 11
Total Pages read this month = 3431
Total Money saved by borrowing or reading what I own = $57.77
Books I bought this month = 3
Books read I already owned = 1

Total Books in 2011 = 45
Total Pages in 2011 = 13,248

3 comments:

Jessica White said...

Yea, I'm totally impressed with your reading accomplishments :-)

Anonymous said...

You're a great reader!

It takes me about two-three months to get through a novel!

And you are reading hard stuff! I like Maya Angelou, but could not get through "Love" to save my life!

Julie G said...

I am so impressed!