Saturday, May 21, 2011

Home again...

I had an incredibly time in Denver. I was at an emerging young clergy conference with some of my fellow clergy people from around the Western jurisdiction. Sometimes it can feel very isolating (away from divinity) school to be in this line of work. I'm the youngest clergy in my annual conference and it's just nice to be around other people who are in the same place. Just starting out, many with young kids, etc.

It was also nice to hear what others are doing and to commit ourselves to staying connected and continuing to help recruit and encourage young clergy.

One of the best moments for me was when we randomly split into groups to head off to a restaurant to eat. I was in the car with a couple other people and the driver of the guy was asking me about life with twins. He then mentioned that he and his wife were in a place where they were taking measures which increased their chance of multiples.

I immediately knew that he was talking about infertility and so I "confessed" that mine were a result of ART and I knew the hell he and his wife were going through. Then the other passenger mentioned that she and her husband had been trying for a long while too and they too were in the midst of IF hell. It was such a powerful moment and it was amazing that we all ended up in the car together.

There's just something about the pain and experience of infertility that automatically bonds people together. I so hope and pray that they and everyone else still trying for their babies find success soon.

The other really awesome experience was the restaurant we ate at.  It's called SAME cafe, which stands for "So All May Eat" it's run by a husband and wife and there are no prices on their menus. Instead everyone is invited to eat, and then pay what they can. If a person is unable to contribute anything then they can get a healthy home cooked meal in exchange for helping wash dishes or carrying boxes etc.

Their goal is to be 100% sustainable and they're doing it. Such a powerful testimony of the good people are doing in the world, plus the food was fantastic. If you're ever in Denver or live in Denver and haven't checked this place out do it. Amazing, everything about it.

2 comments:

slowmamma said...

I'm glad to hear that you had such a great trip. Connecting with like-minded people is really energizing!

Carlita

Jessica White said...

What an impressive restaurant! Definitely God at work with your car-mates :-) I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable time on your conference.