Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I miss my friends :(

School starts in a few weeks and for the first time in 22 years I will not have a first day of school. I will not see my friends in class, there will be no more obsessing over papers and tests, no more study groups, and now we've all scattered across the country (literally) to start jobs and put our master degrees to work and it's all catching up with me.

I'm not even sure I know how to describe what it is I'm missing except that my friends in Connecticut and at grad. school were among the best friends I've ever had in my life. Friends who watched my two babies at basically anytime so I could finish my last year of grad school and travel with a travel seminar to Australia for two weeks.

Friends who knew about my food issues and would buy 15 different types of macaroni and cheese because they weren't sure which I liked. Friends who visited me in the hospital and kept me sane during the bedrest. Friends who introduced me to woodchuck cider (the only alcoholic beverage in the universe I can tolerate) and let me cry in the common room at the school over a less than stellar grade on a paper I worked really hard on and thought was brilliant (Seriously, not one of my finer moments).

Friends who saw me at some of my worst (PPD, grad. school, crazy anxiety wash your hands before touching my kids kind of worst) and who helped bring out my best. I miss them all each and everyone for the uniqueness, goodness and joy they brought to my life during our three years in CT.

Taken the night before the first one of us moved away. (Lots of crying in those days as we all said goodbye).

That night one of my friends had a bottle of holy water or oil or something and she decided we should give each other blessings (which may seem odd to some but in our circle not so much) so that's what we did. With the water we blessed the person to our right. 

I'm enjoying my new stage in life. I know that it's only logical to put good education to work but a part of me wants to rewind a bit and go back to when we were all living within 5 minutes of each other. 

I also miss my therapist he was really great :~)

1 comment:

Jessica White said...

I miss knowing that you're just a few hours away...we really should have taken more advantage of that when we had the chance.

*hugs*