Tuesday, December 13, 2011

St Lucia Day...

Today, we haphazardly celebrated St Lucia day. I was so proud because I was way more on top of it this year than last and I was planning on finishing everything I needed to do for it yesterday.

Then I couldn't move at all yesterday so there went those plans. Instead I had to drive Marcus to work at 7 and then I did errands with Eli and Emmy for 3 hours this morning. That was a nightmare.

Then I quickly created Emerson her wreath crown, Eli his star-boy outfit, we whipped up some Cinnamon rolls (because once again I wasn't on the ball enough to make something authentic).

Before I was out of commission, I was planning on delivering treats to the people in my congregation. That didn't happen. We only made it to one house before we called it a day. Plus neither Eli or Emmy would wear their head pieces. Oh well, there's always next year.
Going to the house of my parishioner to deliver some treats. 


Inside, playing.
Trying to get a picture.

Our star boy, he looks very enthusiastic. This is the only picture I could get with his hat on. 

Trying to get a picture of both of them. 

Our little St. Lucia the only picture with her wreath on. 

Then they had a great time playing at the church. 

And had to be carried home by their dad, because they found all the piles of leaves and didn't want to come inside. 

Here's the paper I printed up to give to those we visited. Most of the information came out of a children's book I have called Lucia Saint of Light by Katherine Bolger Hyde. It's a very simple explanation so that people would have a basic understanding of what we were doing. 

In Sweden on December 13th is the Feast of St. Lucia. The Swedish people love St. Lucia because she saved Sweden from famine in the middle ages. On the darkest day of the most terrible winter, they saw a boat sailing towards them. In the front of the boat stood a beautiful maiden, dressed in white and glowing. When the boat reached land St. Lucia handed out sacks of wheat for all the people to eat.

Lucia also means light. In Sweden, the winter nights are very long, with only a few hours of daylight. So St. Lucia is associated with the return of light.

Today, the oldest girl in the family dresses in a white gown with a red sash. She wears a wreath of candles, which helps light the way and keep her hands free to carry food. On December 13th the oldest girl sings and delivers food to family and friends. The other females in the family dress as attendants also in white but without the crown wreath of candles.
                                   
The boys in the family dress in white, with a white pointy hat and are known as Stjärngossar (Star boys) and accompany St. Lucia as she delivers her food. The traditional food on St Lucia day is a Lussekatter Bun, (I was afraid to try and make them for other people) so instead we bring you a Cinnamon Roll in celebration of this day as we celebrate and remember our Scandinavian Heritage.


No comments: