Wednesday, September 2, 2009


Classes officially start for me today, but I decided to use yesterday as a practice day since I'll have an 11:30 am class every Tuesday and Thursday and I wanted to see if I could get both babies fed and dressed and have time to pump before I would need to leave. What ensued was chaos. Eli always wakes up first (Emerson likes to sleep in bless her. I wish she would give her brother a lesson). So after their 6 am feeding she'll usually sleep until 9:30 or 10:00.

Eli on the other hand doesn't go back to sleep after his morning feeding unless we stick him in our bed (which we do sometimes) and even then he's only good until 7:30 or 8:00 and when he's ready to wake up he screams at the top of lungs. Loud, high pitch screeching. This ridiculous screeching then gets louder when I change him (how Emerson continues to sleep I don't know). Once I change him I try to get his bottle in his mouth as quick as possible, because this is the only way to stop the screeching.

We were okay until Eli had a huge blowout. It was a mess, poop, every where. It was awful and the only remedy was to stick him in the bath, which is right around the time Emerson decides she would like to eat. Then feeding Emerson, trying to keep Eli entertained, plus I forgot that I would actually have to shower and look presentable to leave the house, wash the bottles, pump, and then leave. (Luckily because yesterday was practice I didn't actually have to leave).

Let's just say I fell short of my goal time.

So I tried again today, keeping the 11:00 am goal in mind, and it was essentially a repeat of yesterday with an even bigger blowout by Eli, prompting yet another bath, plus this time I was also covered in baby poop. (Which I didn't realize until a little later when I couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from, it was all over my shirt lovely). Then I also needed to make the house look somewhat presentable since today I actually have to leave the house for class, and a friend is coming to watch the babies. So in the midst of cleaning and feeding babies, I also threw in two loads of laundry.

Thankfully Marcus had 1.5 hours between class and work to help vacuum, feed Emerson, wash bottles and sweep. So I could eat, shower and finish the laundry. It's now 12:15 and both babies are napping.

I have on hour until class and in that time I have to eat lunch, feed both babies, and pump.

I'm tired... this is going to be interesting. Hopefully we all adjust quickly to the new schedule.


Becks said...

A friend with two babies gave me this handy tip - when the babies start having major diaper blowouts, it's time to move up a size! I found this advice to be really true. Hope it's helpful!

Queenie. . . said...

Ack. . .blowouts on your first days! Well, that will get better, and as everyone adjusts to the new schedule, it will get easier. You will get a new system down pat--it's been a long time since you've been doing so many things at once (remember those hospital days of nothing???), so it will take a little time to get the hang of. You'll be a pro in no time, though.