Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy St. Lucia Day...

Ever since I can remember I've wanted to celebrate St. Lucia day. I've always been interested in my heritage and I think the first time I asked my mom, "What am I?" I was in kindergarden. Of course my mom needed a bit more information to understand how to answer the above question but she finally understood and told me that I'm 1/2 Norwegian, 1/4 Swedish, and 1/4 German.

Since I'm 3/4 Scandinavian I spent a lot of time when I was younger researching Norway and Sweden and discovered the St. Lucia holiday which is celebrated in Sweden and also in Norway. Each year I tried to get my family to celebrate the holiday and they were never really up for it.

So I've decided to work the tradition into my own family. So today we celebrated our first St. Lucia day. Traditionally on St. Lucia day the oldest girl in the family dresses up like St. Lucia wearing a white gown, with a red sash, and a crown of candles and the boys dress up as star boys. Then the oldest leads a procession and wakes up the family serving coffee and Lussekatter. Here's a link with some more information.

Being that Eli and Emerson were young this year and had no idea what was going on we didn't go all out. I created a homemade crown of candles and a little star boy hat for Eli. A friend of my Aunts made Emmy's gown and they weren't quite old enough to process and serve treats. Plus I had no idea what saffron threads are so I didn't attempt to make the Lussekatter buns (maybe next year).

I think they looked super cute though (Even though neither of them really wanted anything to do with their head adornments).
Emmy as St. Lucia

Eli as the star boy

The backside of Emmy

Star boy Eli

Emmy, serving her daddy (Of course there wasn't any actual food on the plate maybe next year)

Eating their first cinnamon Role (what we did instead of Lussekatter)

I hope this will be a tradition they get excited about each year going forward. 

2 comments:

Jessica White said...

Happy St. Lucia Day! They look absolutely adorable!

Jessica White said...

Oh, I'm 3/4 german and a 1/4 Irish (with a smattering of a few other things in there).