Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Willpower Instinct... Do you have it?

Every January I make goals for myself and usually within a month or two. Those goals are forgotten and old habits take root once more. Yet, each year I resolve once more that this is the year that things are going to be different. I've always wondered about this pattern of my life and why despite my best efforts I didn't actually change.

Cue Dr. Kelly McGonigal's book The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why it Matters, and What You can Do to Get More of It. Dr. McGonigal discusses in her book the aspects of the brain and human nature that inhibit and enhance our will-power.

The book is broken into 10 chapters and Dr. McGonigal encourages people read it one chapter at a time in order to implement the exercise and advice included to help start training our body and minds around the "I will, I won't, I wants" of life.

Each chapter is full of scientific information but presented in an accessible way, backed up with research and data, and illustrated with individuals stories of change and success.

I loved this book and I've already started implementing some of the suggestions in the book to help improve my will-power around issues of health and procrastination. The suggestions are easy and practical, start meditation, be more aware of the decisions and unhealthy habits of our lives, along with information about why addiction and habits are so hard to break and how to start living a healthier more productive life.

If you have ever struggled to overcome temptation, procrastination, exhaustion, motivation or addiction this book is a gift and an answer. Find it, read it, and start living it!!

To read more, join the conversation, and start changing your life go here


*Compensation Disclosure: I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own I'm serious when I say this is an awesome book and you should read it ASAP*

No comments: